Scientific explanations unclear for me. Please help.

Ryan, I am so sorry for asking this question...you must get sick of some of these. I don't understand...you often say "Please refer to 'how long does HIV survive outside of the body". My problem is, I don't understand what these answers mean for me and probably many others. I am not asking you to pin a time down but please can you tell me if it is likely that HIV would live on a sex toy for three or more hours.(Being able to infect someone) I have called the CDC hotline after reading their statement in here and all they say is that they are not alowed to pin a time down. Mr. Sowadsky's statements say minutes but the CDC says several hours...are the tests they have done using those high levels of HIV "not found in nature". I would really appreciate some help here. Maybe there are more like me that this could help. I am not incredibly intellegent as you might already have figured out so "in laymans" terms would sure help. Thank you so much.

It's not that you are not intelligent; there is no exact answer to your question. No one knows exactly how long HIV will survive under different circumstances outside of a controlled environment in a laboratory. We can only make assumptions based on epidemiology (how we see transmission happening among people in terms of numbers and modes of transmission) and laboratory science. We do not see HIV being transmitted through contact with inanimate objects (except in the case of sharing injection needles).

RMK

Last post here
insertive vaginal sex