Gonorrhea ......HIV.....but how?

Think everyone practicing save sex should read my story to be more careful. I have been tested negative couple of years back. Been practicing safe sex all the while. Three weeks ago, I was infected with gonorrhea (white discharge and itchiness in the penis). I had sex with a she-male. He performed oral for me without condom (couple light blows). I too performed oral for him with condom on. We did have some penis contact with each other too (before the condom). The she-male's cum got onto my hands which I quickly washed away with soap and water. I thought it was as safe as possible but I was infected with gonorrhea according to the doctor. What could have been the mode of infection? What is the risk of HIV although no bodily fluid go into me? I am really surprised because the she-male was very healthy and clean. Do not be careless as I have been.

I have to say, it doesn't seem like you were careless at all. You took many precautions to prevent yourself from getting HIV and other STDs. But your story has an important message to everyone who is confused and worried about sex and STDs: you can reduce your risk when you have sex, but it is very hard (impossible?) to completely eliminate risk. It is an unfortunate, but necessary, fact of life.

Gonorrhea happens to be much easier to transmit than HIV. It is possible to get gonorrhea and/or chlamydia if a person who performs oral sex on you has either of those infections in their throat. Infection is also possible if your urethra comes into contact with your partner's infected fluids (again, gonorrhea and chlamydia are MUCH easier to transmit than HIV in this case). Gonorrhea has no long term consequences if it is treated and cured.

You got gonorrhea, you were diagnosed by a doctor, and you had it treated. You've done a lot of "right" things. Try not to be too hard on yourself.

RMK

Being a Top
Article in journal Nature