Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

EARLY TREATMENT
Oct 4, 2000

EXCUSE MY ENGLISH, I DON'T KNOW MUCH.

I HAVE TWO QUESTIONS.

LATE AUGUST I HAD PROTECTED SEX WITH A PROSTITUTE, DURING THAT TIME SHE FINGERED HERSELF AND THE SHE MESSAGE MY PENIS WITH UNKNOWN LIQUID TO ME. WHAT DO YOU THING OF MY RISK AND WHEN YOU SAY THERE IS A LITTLE RISK, DOES THAT MEAN A PERSON CAN GET INFECTED? LATE SEPTEMBER I STARTED GETTING MILD FEVER AND MILD HEADACHE, AND LIKE A PAIN IN MY THROAT, NO DIAREA, BUT A WEEK LATER I STARTED GOING TO BATH ROOM MORE OFTEN WITH LESS OF ABOVE SYPTOMS.

WHY DON'T WE BEGIN TREATMENT REGARDLESS WHETHER THERE IS POSSIBLE EXPOSURE TO HIV OR NOT?

I'VE READ THAT EARLY TREATMENT IS BEST WEAPON FOR HIV.

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR EFFORT IN THIS IN ADVANCE.

Response from Mr. Kull

Your risk for infection is very low in this circumstance. It is impossible to say that there is "no risk" when any kind of sexual activity is involved. So many factors determine infection and it is unlikely that those factors were met in this one instance.

Treatments for HIV are complex and expensive. Antiretroviral medication regimens can be hard to tolerate for many. Currently, not enough medication is made available to people in the world who are already infected and dying. It is hard to argue for universal availability of post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP) to everyone in the current AIDS crisis. The medical establishment can only provide PEP to people who are at significant risk for infection.

You present an important argument for which there is no easy answer. Well, an HIV vaccine would be an easy answer, so let's keep our fingers crossed.

RMK

Previous
Please Help-Transmission by sharing drinking water cup
Next
Confusion and Complete Stress over Description of Anal Sex and AIDS

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.