The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV-2 and drug cocktails ?

Oct 21, 1997

Thanks for one of the best Global web HIV pages! Dose it exist any papers/research on: if the "standard" drug cocktail work just as well/bad for HIV-2 as for HIV-1 ? From Curious European

Response from Mr. Sowadsky

Hi. Thank you for your question and comments. HIV-2 is a very rare virus. It should therefore come as no surprise that there is very little information about treatments in persons infected with HIV-2. The vast majority of persons infected with HIV-2 are in Western Africa. Since persons in Western Africa have virtually no access to drug "cocktails" (which are almost exclusively available in "Developed" countries only ), we have almost no information of the use of these cocktails in persons with HIV-2 infection.

Some laboratory studies have shown that some of the protease inhibitors (such as Saquinivir) do have activity against HIV-2. But these studies have been done in laboratory settings, not in clinical practice. Remember, the vast majority of persons with HIV-2 infection do not have access to these drugs! Since both HIV-1 and HIV-2 are very similar to one another, we would expect that treatments that work against HIV-1 would most likely be effective against HIV-2 as well. But again, we have very little information on the success of treatments in persons with HIV-2 infection.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to e-mail me at "" or call me at 1-800-842-AIDS (Nationwide). I'm glad to help!

cross resistance
Is Hydrea the same as hydroxyurea

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint