The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Should I tell my Parents?

Dec 5, 2001

I recently discovered some.. well i would say some lumps on my vaginal area. I am young and don't want to tell my parents because they will think badly of me... What could the lumps be and how should I tell them?

Response from Mr. Kull

Many young people have difficulty talking with their parents about issues that involve sexuality and sexual health. Sometimes young peoples' fears are true: parents can also have difficulty talking with their children about sex or even thinking about their child's sexuality. It is also possible that a young person's fears are unfounded. There are plenty of parents out there who are willing to talk with their kids about sex and to be supportive when it comes to issues around sexual/reproductive health. I know it can be scary talking with your parents about your discovery, but only you can gauge how they might respond.

It's not really clear what these lumps on your vaginal area are or what they are related to. They could very well be nothing of consequence. That doesn't mean you should ignore what's going on with your body. Asking questions and learning more about your body and how it functions is important.

If you are uncomfortable asking for your parents' advice or help, try turning to another family member or adult who you can trust and who will respect your confidentiality. If you think that these "lumps" might be related to a sexually transmitted infection (that is only possible if you have been sexually active), you might be able to be examined and/or treated without your parents' consent depending on the laws in your state (see "Underage Testing"

Planned Parenthood ( is a great resource for women with questions, issues, and concerns about sexual/reproductive health. Situations like yours are common and Planned Parenthood could hopefully provide you with some useful guidance.


Gay/Lesbian Friendly Dr's

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint