Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

When to re-test when negative twice
Dec 14, 1996

I am married to a man who has been HIV for 3 years. We have been together for 9 years, which did not practice safe sex for 7 of those years. I have tested negative twice in 1993 and 1995. My husband and I now practice abstience. Should I get tested again? Am I just the fortunate ones that won't contract the disease? Thank you for taking the time to read my question because I know you're quite busy. God bless you for the work that you are doing.

Response from Mr. Sowadsky

Hi. Thank you for your question.

If you test negative 6 months after your LAST possible exposure to the virus (or anytime after that), your test results indicate, with more than 99% accuracy, that you are not infected. It's never a guarantee that if you have sex with an infected person, that you yourself would get infected. When having sex with an infected person, you can become infected the very first time you have sex with them, OR you can have sex 100 times with them and never get infected. The thing to remember is that the more times that you're exposed, the greater your risk becomes. But it's never a guarantee that you'll get infected. If the HIV virus doesn't get into your bloodstream, you won't get the infection. Some people take greater risks than others, and some people are simply luckier than others.

So in your case, if its been more than 6 months after your last possible exposure to the virus, and you have not been re-exposed since then, there is no need for you to get tested again.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact the Centers for Disease Control at 1.800.232.4636 (Nationwide).

Previous
Potential partners getting tested together before sex
Next
Immunizations, Viruses, & Inconclusive Test Results

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.