a website offers a rapid test. What do you think?

http://www.aidstesting.com offers a rapid test. What do you think?

Response from Mr. Sowadsky

Hi. Thank you for your question.

After visiting this website (and others like it), I have one word for you......BEWARE!!!!!!

This website is one of a growing number of websites that are selling unapproved home HIV testing kits. Since these tests have NOT been FDA (Food and Drug Administration) approved, there is no way to know how accurate they really are. In regard to home HIV testing, there are only two companies that have been granted FDA approval. They are "Home Access Express" and "Confide". These two companies have proven their tests to be accurate. You MUST send in a blood sample to both of these companies in order for them to run the test.

I have seen a growing number of home tests on the Internet, claiming accurate tests that can be done in the home, without sending a specimen to a laboratory. NONE OF THESE TESTS HAVE BEEN APPROVED, AND THE ACCURACY OF THESE TESTS IS UNKNOWN!

I have also seen on the Internet home chlamydia tests, home TB tests, home Hepatitis B tests, and a growing number of other unapproved home tests. This is a growing market, and there will be people trying to make money off of home testing, by selling unapproved tests. Therefore, unless a home HIV test is purchased through "Home Access Express" or "Confide", the accuracy of the test is unknown.

The saliva test mentioned in this website is NOT the "saliva" antibody test that is FDA approved in the USA. The approved "saliva" antibody test is called "Orasure", and this test is presently NOT approved for home use. The "saliva test" can only be done through your doctor, and is as accurate as blood antibody tests. The sample must be sent to a laboratory for the test to be run. The saliva tests are however more expensive. Again, saliva antibody tests are NOT yet approved for home use by the FDA, but can be done through your doctor. The accuracy of the saliva test mentioned in this website is unknown.

Let me leave you with one final statement......"Let The Buyer Beware!" If you have any further questions, please feel free to call the Centers for Disease Control at 1.800.232.4636 (Nationwide).

15 minute test
Get tested now, today or tomorrow for a benchmark. The Body: Rick Sowadsky M.S.P.H., C.D.S, Answers to Safe Sex Questions