The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Blood Chemistry

Apr 15, 1997

Dear Doctor, Can you explain my question based on previous HIV history. If a person has normal Globulin ratio, Lymphocytes and Sedimentation rates , which normally indicates the possibility of any infection, Is there a possibility of HIV infection. please explain Thanks

Response from Mr. Sowadsky

Hi. Thank you for your question.

Lab tests like Globulin levels, Lymphocyte counts, Sedimentation rates etc. CANNOT be used to diagnose HIV, nor any one disease specifically. These are all general tests, and their primary use is to give a physician clues as to what a persons problem may be. A person can be normal on all of these tests and still have HIV, and various other infectious diseases as well. When there are abnormalities on these tests, this can give the physician an idea as to what the problem may be. The physician can then test for the suspected problems specifically. However, remember that a person can have HIV and other infectious diseases, and still have normal test results on these very general laboratory tests.

For more information on this topic please see the questions:"Low white blood cell count", "Lymphocyte Count", and "Blood Test - Sedimentation Rate", and "Blood Test".

If you have any further questions, please feel free to call the Centers for Disease Control at 1.800.232.4636 (Nationwide).

HIV-2 in India?
False Negatives (ELISA) and HIV-2

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint