Blood Testing for HIV
Jun 9, 1997
Mr. Sowadsky, My girlfriend was "raped" a year and a half ago. She has had two blood tests (standard tests, not specifically for HIV) since that time. The last test was 6 months ago. If the blood tests indicated nothing wrong, should she be concerned that she could have contacted HIV? Thank you for your reply.
Response from Mr. Sowadsky
Hi. Thank you for your question. The ONLY tests that can be used to diagnose HIV are tests that are specifically designed to detect HIV infection (antibody tests etc.). Likewise, the ONLY tests that can be used to diagnose other Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STD's) are tests that specifically look for each STD.
In other words:
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Is Fever A Symptom Of HIV?
- Painful Urination After Insertive Anal Sex Without Condom Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Irritation On Penis Tip After Sex Chlamydia Sti
- Severe Vaginal Bleeding After Lifting
- Symptoms Of This Std In Men Can Cause Epididymitis And Can Also Spread To The Blood Or Joints
- Are Chronic Yeast Infection And Swollen Glands Sign Of Hiv?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.