Anonymous hiv testing in Canada?

Do you know of any clinics in western Canada (B.C, Alberta) who conduct anonymous hiv testing? I have contacted several places in the past week but they only offer confidential testing. Could you also explain to me the degree of privacy between a confidential as opposed to an anonymous test. Also typically how long would it take to get the results. Would a negative result come back sooner since they wouldn't have to re-verify it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Response from Mr. Sowadsky

Thank you for your question. Since I live in the United States, I do not know if the federal or provincial governments in Canada allow anonymous testing or not. In the United States, some states allow anonymous testing, and others do not. In anonymous testing, there is no record connecting your name to your test result. In confidential testing, there is a record of your name linked to your test result; however, there are very strict laws prohibiting unauthorized persons from having access to your test results. Therefore, whether you go to an anonymous testing site, or a confidential testing site, confidentiality should not be a problem.

To find out if anonymous testing is an option where you live, and to find the locations of a local testing site, contact your local AIDS hotline. The numbers for those hotlines can be found at the websites below:

For hotlines and testing information in Canada:

http://www.thebody.com/hotlines/canadian.html

For hotlines and testing information in the United States:

http://www.thebody.com/hotlines.html

For hotlines and testing information outside of Canada and the United States:

http://www.thebody.com/hotlines/internat.html

In general, the time it takes to get test results averages about a week, but this time can vary widely from one place to another. You can ask the local testing site how long it will take to receive your results. Whether the test is positive or negative, will usually not affect the time it takes to get your results. So if it takes longer than normal to get your results, it does not necessarily mean your test results were positive.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to call the Centers for Disease Control at 1.800.232.4636 (Nationwide).

Oral HIV Testing
pro Vs. cons of getting tested?