Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Can I start donating blood again?

Apr 21, 1999

Dear Sir,

I used to donate blood every six months until after I had a severe illness and my doctor though it might be HIV. I need to know if after my 9 month negative test if it is o.k. with good conscience to resume blood donations. I just would be devistated if i donate and later find out I am indeed positive!

Response from Mr. Sowadsky

Thank you for your question.

If you have tested negative for HIV, and it has been 6 months or more after your last possible exposure to the virus, this indicates that you are not infected with the virus. At 6 months, or anytime thereafter, the tests are more than 99% accurate. This is as accurate as any test in medicine could ever be, and is considered a conclusive test result.

In regard to donating blood again, I suggest that you do not donate again until:

1) Your doctor has said that it is OK for you to do so, and

2) You read through the blood donation questionnaire, and answer all 40 questions honestly. This questionnaire will help determine if you qualify to donate blood or not.

Finally, you can also contact your local blood bank to see if you qualify to donate blood again or not.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to call the Centers for Disease Control at 1.800.232.4636 (Nationwide).

Previous
National HIV Testing Day
Next
Hiv-2 testing in the United States

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.