Exposed to HIV but tested negative: Will I test positive someday?

My husband testing positive seven months ago. We have been together for four years and used unprotected sex. The doctor said he has been infected a long time for his tcell counts was 38. I took the test right after his result and came back negative. i recently took it again and it is still negative.For seven months we are not sexually active. I am afraid that i will test positive someday. Any advice

Response from Mr. Sowadsky

Thank you for your question. If you tested negative after 7 months with no possible exposures to the virus, this indicates with more than 99% accuracy, that you were not infected from your husband (making you a very lucky person!). If you continue to abstain from sex with him, and if you take precautions not to be exposed to his semen and blood, then there would be no reason to believe you would become positive in the future. If you decide to resume sexual relations with him again, and you diligently practice safer sex with him, then your chances of turning positive later on would be very low.

If you continue to have a fear of turning positive, I have several suggestions for you:

1) Go to an HIV support group specifically for families/friends of people with HIV.

2) Talk to a counselor one-on-one if you prefer private counseling instead of (or in addition to) a support group.

3) You may also wish to visit the Mixed HIV Status forum here at The Body for more help with this issue.

The most important thing is to talk your fears out with someone to help you better cope with the situation. You are not alone in this. There are many other people in your situation.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to call the Centers for Disease Control at 1.800.232.4636 (Nationwide).

HIV testing to obtain insurance
Does an undetectable viral load make you antibody negative?