|Exposed to HIV but tested negative: Will I test positive someday?
Oct 12, 1999
My husband testing positive seven months ago. We have been together for four years and used unprotected sex. The doctor said he has been infected a long time for his tcell counts was 38. I took the test right after his result and came back negative. i recently took it again and it is still negative.For seven months we are not sexually active. I am afraid that i will test positive someday. Any advice
| Response from Mr. Sowadsky
Thank you for your question. If you tested negative after 7 months with no possible exposures to the virus, this indicates with more than 99% accuracy, that you were not infected from your husband (making you a very lucky person!). If you continue to abstain from sex with him, and if you take precautions not to be exposed to his semen and blood, then there would be no reason to believe you would become positive in the future. If you decide to resume sexual relations with him again, and you diligently practice safer sex with him, then your chances of turning positive later on would be very low.
If you continue to have a fear of turning positive, I have several suggestions for you:
1) Go to an HIV support group specifically for families/friends of people with HIV.
2) Talk to a counselor one-on-one if you prefer private counseling instead of (or in addition to) a support group.
3) You may also wish to visit the Mixed HIV Status forum here at The Body for more help with this issue.
The most important thing is to talk your fears out with someone to help you better cope with the situation. You are not alone in this. There are many other people in your situation.
If you have any further questions, please feel free to call the Centers for Disease Control at 1.800.232.4636 (Nationwide).
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Making Out How Long Does It Take To Test Positive For HIV
- How Long After Being Exposed To Hiv Does It Take To Show In Testing?
- How Can A Person Be Hiv Positive But Test Negative?
- How Soon After Being Exposed To Hiv Can You Get Tested?
- Time Frame To Ars After Infection
- Primary Mode Of Hiv Transmission In Africa
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.