HIV testing to obtain insurance

Are HIV tests administered by Insurance companies reliable? I had one ten months after a potential exposure and the the results were NO DETECTABLE ANTIBODIES FOUND. However there was no mention of the type of test performed. I had blood and urine specimens collected by a mobile service.

Response from Mr. Sowadsky

Thank you for your question. Without knowing which test the insurance company used, this is a difficult question to answer. As long as they used an FDA approved test (which was hopefully the case), and as long as it was 6 months or more after your last possible exposure to the virus, then the test is considered fully accurate. If you are not sure what test they used, simply call up the company and ask them. Let me also point out that in some places, HIV testing to obtain insurance may not be permitted. For example, in the state of California, HIV testing to obtain health insurance is not permitted (however insurance companies can test a person for HIV to obtain life insurance in California).

If you have any further questions, please feel free to call the Centers for Disease Control at 1.800.232.4636 (Nationwide).

What do I do if my doctor thinks I have HIV?
Exposed to HIV but tested negative: Will I test positive someday?