Psoriasis & Aids

I was recently diagnosed as having psoriasis after noticing an outbreak of rashes on my ribs. At around the same time I took an HIV test which came back negative. My question is, what is the chance the psoriasis could have been an infection due to having HIV yet to be detected?

Response from Mr. Sowadsky

Hi. Thank you for your question. Psoriasis is a skin condition that can happen to any person at any time. It is not an opportunistic disease directly associated with AIDS. Having this skin problem does not indicate HIV infection, nor AIDS.

Also, if a person has symptoms and tests negative for HIV, the negative HIV test would indicate that the symptoms are not HIV/AIDS related. A person first shows positive on the test (by 6 months after infection), and then later begins to show symptoms (an average of 10 years later). So if a person tests negative at the time that they're showing symptoms, that would indicate that their symptoms are due to something other than HIV. If your symptoms persist, you still need to see a physician, but there is no indication that your skin symptoms are related to HIV infection. If you have any further questions, please feel free to call the Centers for Disease Control at 1.800.232.4636 (Nationwide). Rick Sowadsky MSPH CDS

Fever at exposure?
SEROCONVERSION