The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary


Oct 21, 1996

I discovered 3 months after a risky act 4 white spots near the tip of my penis, and was wondering if this could be a sign of contracting HIV? Could you please comment on this? Once again keep up the good work.

Response from Mr. Sowadsky

Hi. Thank you for your question and compliment.

The symptoms you describe are not consistant with the symptoms associated with HIV/AIDS. HIV/AIDS related symptoms don't begin until an average of 10 years after infection, and usually don't involve white spots on the penis. However the symptoms you describe may be due to another Sexually Transmitted Disease (STD), for example genital warts. If it is an STD that you have, it's very important that you see a doctor as soon as possible. Only a doctor can diagnose and treat an STD. Until you see a doctor, it's important that you either abstain from sex, or use condoms during sex. This is because, in case you do have an STD, you don't want to expose others to the infection. Of course, what you have may be due to something other than an STD, and here too, you need to see a doctor to determine what it is that you have. But based on what you told me, the symptoms you're describing are not consistant with the symptoms of HIV/AIDS.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to call the Centers for Disease Control at 1.800.232.4636 (Nationwide). Rick Sowadsky MSPH CDS

Is this an early warning of HIV?
Low blood platlets indicator of AIDS?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint