Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Bruising Easily--Am I Positive?
Oct 22, 1996

I am HIV-negative, but I have safe sex (no penetration) with my HIV-positive partner. He has been positive for 12 years, and one noticable symptom he has is that he bruises easily, and bruises take a long time to heal. Suddenly, I am having the same symptom, where before I was very difficult to bruise and they healed in 2 days. I still have "love bites" after a week. I've had no other symptoms of seroconversion. Should I be concerned?

Response from Mr. Sowadsky

Hi. Thank you for your question. In your post, you state that you have tested HIV negative. If you are testing HIV negative at the time that you're showing symptoms, it indicates that your symptoms are not HIV or AIDS related. An infected person first tests positive by 6 months after infection. Symptoms related to HIV/AIDS don't begin until an average of 10 years after infection. Therefore, a person first tests positive (by 6 months after infection), and then later on shows symptoms (an average of 10 years after infection). So if you're showing any symptoms now, and you continue to test HIV negative, that indicates that your symptoms are not HIV/AIDS related.

There are multiple reasons why a person could bruise easily, and then take a long time to heal. These are not necessarily HIV/AIDS related symptoms. There are other medical conditions which can lead to the same symptom. My suggestion to you is to see your physician and have a complete physical exam. Tell your physician the symptoms you've been having, so they can get an idea what illnesses to check you for. It's very important to remember that every symptom seen in persons with HIV/AIDS can be seen in other illnesses unrelated to HIV infection.

Your physician may choose to test you for HIV again, just to rule out HIV infection, especially since your partner is HIV positive. But they should also test you for other illnesses that can cause bruising, and related medical problems.

So at this time, you cannot assume your symptoms are HIV/AIDS related, even if your positive partner has the same or similar symptoms. But a complete physical exam, in addition to various laboratory tests, could help you determine what is causing your symptoms. If you have any further questions, please feel free to call the Centers for Disease Control at 1.800.232.4636 (Nationwide). Rick Sowadsky MSPH CDS

Previous
Symptomatic Seroconversion?
Next
Is this an early warning of HIV?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.