Does HIV Infection increase the risk of Deep Venous Thrombosis

Two weeks after a high risk exposure to HIV I began to experience joint pain in the legs and arms and mild lymph gland pain under my arms. The pain in one of my legs increased significantly and was diagnosed as Deep Venous Thrombosis (DVT). Whilst the risk factors I have seen for DVT do not include HIV infection (in my case the most likely cause is an extended period of immobilisation) are you aware of any documented reports of HIV infection raising the risk of DVT - or more to the point - of DVT being a symptom for ARS?

Response from Mr. Sowadsky

Hi.Thank you for your inquiry.

I looked into the medical literature regarding the link between Deep Venous Thrombosis (DVT) and HIV infection. Although there were case reports of thrombosis in persons with HIV infection, there was no apparent direct link. In other words, the reports did not indicate that DVT is directly associated with HIV infection. However there were reports of persons with HIV having venous thrombosis. There is nothing to prevent a person with HIV from getting other diseases unrelated to HIV infection. Certainly DVT may complicate a case of HIV/AIDS, but being diagnosed with DVT does not indicate HIV infection. Also, there was no indication that having DVT was related to symptoms associated with recent HIV infection. I am also not aware of HIV infection raising the risk of acquiring DVT.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to call the Centers for Disease Control at 1.800.232.4636 (Nationwide). Rick Sowadsky MSPH CDS

Swollen Glands
Early HIV symptoms?