Swollen Glands

I had unprotected sex with a female and about six weeks later came down with a bad sore throat and cold. I still have swollen glands in my throat now two years later and run a lot of low grade fevers, ringing in my ears with pain on the left side of my face. I took an HIV test at 5 and 17 months after possible exposure which both were negative. My doctor has run several test with no luck. Thank for any help and keep up your great work.

Response from Mr. Sowadsky

Hi.Thank you for your question.

It's impossible for me to tell you what is causing your symptoms. What I can tell you is that if you tested negative anytime beyond 6 months after a possible exposure to the virus, the tests are more than 99% accurate. Since you tested negative 17 months later, that would indicate with more than 99% accuracy that you were not infected with the virus from that encounter. In addition, if you are testing negative at the time that you are showing these symptoms, that would also indicate that your symptoms are not AIDS related. A person first shows positive on the test (by 6 months after infection), and then later shows symptoms (an average of 10 years after infection). So I cannot tell you what is causing your symptoms, but I can say that your HIV tests indicate that your symptoms are not AIDS related. Only your physician can tell you the cause of your symptoms. But at this time, at least your tests indicate what the problem isn't. The next step is to find out what the problem actually is.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to call the Centers for Disease Control at 1.800.232.4636 (Nationwide). Rick Sowadsky MSPH CDS

Two Questions: Lymphnodes/Lymph glands
Does HIV Infection increase the risk of Deep Venous Thrombosis