Is anal itching a symptom?

I have had numerous symptoms which I believe may be from acute infection of HIV. One of them is really bad anal itching for about 2 weeks straight and even occasional itching on the tip of my penis. Is this a symptom of acute infection? Can you please describe in detail exactly the type of rash that occurs with primary infection? Is persistent dry cough for a month a possible symptom during primary infection too? I have had that as well.Thank you very much. This is torturing me not knowing.

Response from Mr. Sowadsky

Hi. Thank you for your question.

For starters, anal itching is not a symptom of AIDS, nor a symptom of acute viral syndrome. It can be a symptom of various infections including pinworms, anal genital warts, and anal gonorrhea. It could also be a symptom of problems like hemorrhoids. If these symptoms continue or get worse, see your healthcare professional.

Itching on the penis can be due to several Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STD's) like Chlamydia, Gonorrhea, a yeast infection, and other problems. It, too, is NOT related to HIV infection. If these symptoms continue or get worse, see your healthcare professional.

Some people will get a rash during Acute Viral Syndrome. Acute Viral Syndrome is associated with flu-like symptoms that occur within the first 4-6 weeks after infection. All of the symptoms of acute viral syndrome last for a week or two, then go away by themselves. They do NOT usually last for longer than 2 weeks. The rash that is sometimes seen during Acute Viral Syndrome is usually non-elevated, and is often found on the upper trunk of the body. There may be some itching associated with this, but not always. I must strongly emphasize that these symptoms look exactly like rashes due to numerous other causes. Therefore, having a rash, in of itself, does not indicate HIV infection. The same can be said of the flu-like symptoms also associated with Acute Viral Syndrome. So just because you have a rash, or flu-like symptoms, doesn't alone indicate HIV infection! And remember a person may become infected with HIV, and never get Acute Viral Syndrome at all.

If you have any further questions please e-mail me at "nvhotline@aol.com" or call me at 1-800-842-AIDS.

Symptoms at 10 weeks?
Symptoms