Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

early symptoms

Nov 27, 2001

Dear Ryan, I know you say it's not wise to diagnose yourself as hiv+ based on symptoms alone. I had an encounter recently which I believe is very low risk. The thing is I wouldnt even bother taking the test if it wasnt for the symptoms I experienced. 1. Less than a week after the encounter I had a night sweat. I put this down to alcohol as I was drinking reguraly at the time. 2. 6 weeks after the incident I got a sore throat that lasted just 1 day (I didnt bother taking my temperature until 2 days afer this: it was normal). 3. Then 2 days after the sore throat I got these burning pains around my limbs (esp. knees, elbows, fingers) that lasted 2 weeks. These were my biggest concern as they were very abnormal. No rash, no swollen glands etc. Are these burning pains indicative of hiv and also why is there such a variety of symptoms and which are the most common? There seems to be a lot of conflicting literature out there! Thanks very much, your doing a great job!

Response from Mr. Kull

The symptoms one may experience during acute HIV infection are symptoms that can be attributed to many different illnesses or conditions. That is why a diagnosis of acute HIV infection must always be accompanied by an accurate assessment of risk and appropriate testing. If your risk was "very low" then it is quite unlikely that your symptoms are related to HIV infection.

That doesn't mean that your symptoms are not related to anything. You should always have unexplained, unresolved symptoms checked out by your doctor.

RMK

Previous
Should I get tested ?
Next
Please help a young guy from Asia!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.