The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Acute Retroviral Syndrome The Body: Rick Sowadsky M.S.P.H., C.D.S, Answers to Safe Sex Questions

Feb 6, 1997

I recently found out a friend is HIV positive. He has not been sexually active for about two years( so he says ). He recently had flu like symptoms and decided to go to the doctor. Thats when he found out he had HIV. Lets say he is telling the truth about his sexual activity. Is it possible to have Acute Retroviral Syndrome two years after infection or does it occur only in the begining of HIV infection?

Response from Mr. Sowadsky

Hi. Thank you for your question.

Acute Viral Syndrome will occur within the first 4 to 6 weeks after infection. It will NOT occur two years later. His symptoms can be due to many things, both HIV/AIDS related and things unrelated to HIV. Of course, your friend may have had the flu itself, or another type of infection. However Acute Viral Syndrome is the body's initial response against infection, and does NOT occur months or years after infection.

For more information about the symptoms of HIV/AIDS, see the question, "Symptomatic Stage".

If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact the Centers for Disease Control at 1.800.232.4636 (Nationwide).

hiv and MS
frequent mouth sores The Body: Rick Sowadsky M.S.P.H., C.D.S, Answers to Safe Sex Questions

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint