Early signs

A couple of months ago, I engaged in protective vaginal intercouse with a prostitute. About12 days later, I came down with very mild symptoms. Slight body aches, fatigue, sore throat, Fever of 99.6. These symptoms lasted for about two to three days and then on the fourth day, I came down with a cold (sneezing, running nose, congestion). Is this reason for alarm? Are these early signs of infectioin? Thanx!

Response from Mr. Sowadsky

Hi. Thank you for your question.

Cold symptoms and respiratory symptoms are NOT related to the symptoms of recent HIV infection (also known as Acute Viral Syndrome). Symptoms of recent HIV infection are more closely related to the flu, rather than the cold. For more information on the symptoms of recent HIV infection, please see the question, "Symptomatic Stage" , which discusses the symptoms of HIV/AIDS in detail. Because Acute Viral Syndrome looks exactly like the symptoms of many other illnesses, NOBODY can tell you whether your symptoms are due to this syndrome or not. Only HIV testing can determine if a person has HIV or not.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to call the Centers for Disease Control at 1.800.232.4636 (Nationwide).

dry mouth etc.
chicken pox + hiv