The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

There's a spot on my penis - what disease?

Mar 3, 1997

Dear Doc, First off, I would like to say a big "thank you" for everything you're doing. It's amazing that the internet can be so large, but there is only one decent page that really tries to answer people's questions, yours. I hope this is one of the questions that get posted, I'm quite worried and I have no idea what to think. I have a spot on my penis and it doesn't seem to look like any STD that I have read about on the net, (none of the pictures I've seen look like it either). I am not circumcised, and it is located on the inside of the foreskin on the underside of the penis. It's hard to describe, but it is next to the part that is attached to the head of the penis. I have to pull back and push the foreskin to the side to see it, it's hidden under the folds. I discovered it while showering about 4 weeks ago or so and I don't know how long I've had it before that. It's the only one that I know of on my entire body. It is flat, painless, dark brownish in color (my imagination sometimes sees a purplish tinge!), and quite small (about 1-2mm). If I put my finger on the opposite side of the attachment and push to stretch it out and get a better look, it almost disappears, you would never know that it is there unless you looked very hard. It looks like it is part of the skin and I initially (stupidly?) thought that it might be a fluff from my underwear that got caught in there and created some sort of tatoo. Anyway, my fears of seroconversion were allayed by your info because it has been well over two weeks, but because I can't find any info on other diseases that might cause something like this, I'm thinking Kaposi's Sarcoma (maybe I'm just paranoid). I will have it looked at soon, but for now, I'm too scared to think. What do you think it could be? What other STDs or disease cause something like this? Sorry for the long question, but you are my only source of information until I can get to see a doctor. Thank you very much for the help.

Response from Mr. Sowadsky

I cannot tell you what it is that may be causing this spot. All I can tell you is that if you are concerned about this spot on your penis, that you see your doctor. I cannot diagnose what it is that you may have via the computer. I can't visually see what it is that you are talking about. But your physician (who can visually see what it is that you have) can tell you what is causing your symptoms. Remember, nobody can make a diagnosis for you over the computer, or over the telephone. Only a physician in person, can diagnose any medical condition. For more information on the symptoms related to HIV/AIDS specifically, see "A MESSAGE FROM RICK SOWADSKY ABOUT SYMPTOM QUESTIONS". If you have any further questions, please feel free to call the Centers for Disease Control at 1.800.232.4636 (Nationwide).

Swollen Glands
Unsafe experience?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint