Don't know if exposed!

I had a massage in a hotel room in Indonesia about ten days ago and the woman massue rubbed some oil on my penis and offered to masturbate me. I also stroked her thighs and possibly touched her panties (I don't remember exactly). I didn't let her conitnue (I guess I didn't want her to frig me) but after she left, I masturbated without washing my hands. >From what I have read on your site, I don't think I was exposed to HIV, but within two days of this incident, I came down with a bad throat - the doctor diagnosed it as Pharyngitis. I normally get OK with stuff like this within a couple of days, but this time It's been a week. Do you think I have been exposed to AIDS and could the early symptoms appear as soon as within 2 days?? Thanks

Response from Mr. Sowadsky

Hi. Thank you for your question. You were indeed at very low risk (if any risk at all) for HIV infection under the circumstances you describe. A person can technically show symptoms of recent infection within the first week after infection, but this is very unlikely. It's very ususual to start showing symptoms within the first week after infection, but not impossible.

I have seen a lot of people convincing themselves that they may have HIV, based on their symptoms. Many people have tried to "match their symptoms" to that of Acute Viral Syndrome and full-blown AIDS. Please do not do this! It's very easy to convince yourself you have HIV/AIDS based on symptoms, when in fact you may not even be infected. I have personally seen many cases where a person convinced themselves that they had HIV (based on their symptoms), went through major stress and anxiety (for months or even years), and then turned up HIV negative 6 months or more after the exposure that they were concerned about. I'm trying to avoid other persons from going through the same unnecessary mental torment. The only thing that symptoms tell you is, if they do not go away, or if they get very severe, then you need to see a doctor. That's all they tell you. Please do not diagnose yourselves based on symptoms!

You will also note that nobody, not yourselves, myself, nor anybody on the Internet, nor any AIDS Hotline, can tell you if your symptoms may be HIV related, without having laboratory tests done. This is true whether your symptoms occur 2 days after an exposure, 2 weeks, 2 months, or 2 years after an exposure. So please, re-read my message to everyone, entitled, "A MESSAGE FROM RICK SOWADSKY ABOUT SYMPTOM QUESTIONS" . Thank you.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to call the Centers for Disease Control at 1.800.232.4636 (Nationwide).

muscle pains, malaise and a brazilian encounter
persistent lymphadenopathy