Oral Sex and Yeast Infections

Two years ago, I had unprotected oral sex with an ex-boyfriend. After meeting another person, I decided to have a test done. At the time, foolish me, I was under the assumption that you could NOT receive HIV by this means. I had a test done 3 months after the last unprotected sex and then 6 months later (borderline 6 months). This was done as a result of persistent flu-lik e symptoms. In fact, I had gone to the doctor because I was experiencing a sore throat, and I had raised pimples on the back gums where my wisdom teeth had been. They went away soon after antibiotics. I had had several headache episodes afterwards and was on massive antibiotics and steroids. Now, I have no headaches, but I have yeast infections which reoccur. They have been treated with different medications, but still come back. Should I go for another test, two years later? Everyone laughs at me, thinking that I am foolish that I could think I could have received it this way. I have never had vaginal sex, and I really am scared to go for another test. What do you think? Please answer this question, it is on my conscience. Thanks.

Response from Mr. Sowadsky

Hi. Thank you for your question.

As to the symptoms of HIV/AIDS, please see the posting, "A MESSAGE FROM RICK SOWADSKY ABOUT SYMPTOM QUESTIONS" , which describes the symptoms of HIV and AIDS in detail. As you will note, if you test negative after 6 months, and you are showing symptoms, this indicates that the symptoms you are having are not HIV/AIDS related. There's no need for additional HIV testing. You need to see your doctor to determine what the actual cause of your symptoms is.

I would like to take this opportunity to warn all women that recurrent vaginal yeast infections can be a symptom of HIV (usually occurring years after HIV infection). Because the woman in this question has tested negative at 6 months, this indicates her yeast infections are not HIV related. However, in women who are having recurrent vaginal yeast infections and have not been tested for HIV, I do recommend HIV testing.

There are multiple reasons why a woman can have recurrent vaginal yeast infections (in addition to HIV). They can include (but are not limited to):

1) being on antibiotics

Hypertension Or Gum Disease A Symptom?
Chronic HIV Infection