The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Underage Testing

Nov 26, 2001

Does an underage person need parental consent for testing? What is legal age for testing? Will the results be confidential or reported and to whom?

Response from Mr. Kull

Laws regarding minors, and specifically their rights to consent to health care, can vary from state to state. It is important to research the guidelines in your particular state. See the Alan Guttmacher Institute's table on "Minor's Right to Consent to Health Care and Make Other Important Decisions" (

Currently, all 50 states and the District of Columbia allow minors to consent to STD testing and treatment; this may explicitly or implicitly include HIV. Three states require parent/guardian consent for minors to receive HIV treatment.

There are subtleties to state law. For instance, several states may allow doctors to notify the parents of the minor. Also, the definition of minor might be different, or there might be a minimum age requirement for minor consent. Check with your state.

The rights of minors to have access to HIV/STD testing and treatment, reproductive serivces, and other health care without parental consent is continually threatened by political movements. Supporting legislation that respects the constitutional rights of minors and allows them to consent to their own health care supports the health of American youth.


Is hiv transmitted by urine this way?
Should I get tested ?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint