Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

vaginal transmission of orally aquired std?
Dec 14, 1996

If I have aquired Chlamydia, syphilis, herpes, or gonorrhea by giving someone (another male) oral sex - as I think I may have, due to a small leision on my tongue - can I tranmit it through having conventional sex with an uninfected woman, without kissing her or having any other form of oral contact with her? In other words; if I have contracted it in my mouth, can I then transmit it through my penis? The period between when I may have contracted an STD and when I then had 'conventional' sex was a few days, 10 days at most. Other than a small and mildly irritating sore on the end of my tongue, I have no symptoms. the other man didn't ejaculate in my mouth, however, in that there were several males having oral sex together, he may have had residual ejaculate from that present in another man's mouth, on his penis.

Response from Mr. Sowadsky

Hi. Thank you for your question.

Different Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STD's) are transmitted different ways. If you acquire a systemic STD that is found throughout the body (HIV, Hepatitis B etc.), you can get infected through giving oral sex, then give the infection to your other partners through vaginal intercourse, anal intercourse, or by oral sex. Diseases that are spread by discharges (chlamydia and gonorrhea) are transmitted by direct exposure to that discharge. In other words, if a person were to get gonorrhea in the throat, they would not transmit this infection through vaginal or anal intercourse. But if they had gonorrhea in the penis, vagina, or rectum, they could then transmit the infection through intercourse. If a person has lesions due to syphilis or herpes, these are transmitted by direct contact with the lesions. Transmission would occur only on the part of the body where the lesion is located.

So for systemic diseases like HIV or Hepatitis, if you get infected by giving oral sex (which CAN happen), you can then give the infection to others through intercourse. However if you were to get other STD's orally (like herpes), you would not then transmit the infection through intercourse.

Also, the more partners you have, and the more partners your partners have, the greater your risk for HIV and other Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STD's). And remember that the viral STD's are incurable, and some STD's are potentially fatal as well (not just AIDS). Think about it.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact the Centers for Disease Control at 1.800.232.4636 (Nationwide).

Previous
Warts/Molluscum via Blood?
Next
Molluscum Contagium?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.