Sensitive Testicles and possible STD?

Dear Doc About 6 months ago I had sex with a woman. Oral sex without protection, vaginal sex with protection. Several days later I experienced a burning sensation when urinating. I went to a local family doctor who found no sign of infecton by urine test and no sign of STD (although did not do specific test). He did prescribe some medicine for a general urethitus. However, I had very sensitive testicles and lower abdomen for the next month. I ask the woman that I had sex with and she said she had no STD's but had a "scratchy" throat several days after. Did I just pick up some type of bacteria from her mouth or should I be concerned of something more serious? Thanks

Response from Mr. Sowadsky

Hi. Thank you for your question.

Since your doctor did not test you for Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STD's), there's no way of knowing whether you had an STD or not. A burning sensation when you pee (urinate) and testicular pain, can be symptoms of Chlamydia or Gonorrhea. Unless your doctor specifically tests you for these diseases, there's no way to know whether you were infected or not. Urine tests are not designed to diagnose Chlamydia or Gonorrhea. These infections are usually diagnosed through specific swab tests, where a sample is taken from the urethra of the penis. If you had these symptoms, and your doctor told you that you didn't have an STD without testing you, this doctor was not very knowledgeable in STD's. Testing is the only way to diagnose these types of symptoms, and urine tests are not designed to diagnose STD's. The symptoms of Chlamydia and Gonorrhea are very similar to other infections that are not STD's (like urinary tract infections). That's why testing is so important when you have these types of symptoms. So I cannot tell you what it is you may have had, since you never got tested. Some antibiotics that treat urethritis, may also work against STD's. But I can't comment on this further since I don't know what you were treated with. Simply put, you may have had a urinary tract infection that was not an STD, or you may have had an STD like Chlamydia or Gonorrhea. But since the symptoms are so similar between these types of diseases, there's no way to know what it is you had, unless you got tested. If your symptoms went away and never came back, there's a good chance that the medications you were given got rid of the infection (whatever it was). But if you want to be sure, you can always get tested again.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to call the Centers for Disease Control at 1.800.232.4636 (Nationwide).

HPV
herpes virus