Hepatitis A,B,C,D,E

Dear Mr. Sowadsky, I recently read your response to the question concerning HIV transmission and rimming. You mentioned hepatitis A in your answer. I thought hepatitis B was the worry with that particular practice. I have been vaccinated for hepatitis B but I wish to know about the other strains--how they differ and if vaccines are available.

Response from Mr. Sowadsky

Hi. Thank you for your question. You can find the answers to your question in the following posts:

Hepatitis B

How soon should I test for Hep B?/ Window Period for Hepatitis?

Booster immunization using different hepatitus B recombinent vaccine

Are gay men considered high risk for hepatitus B? How many years after the last hepatitus B and A boosters should gay men get another?

There are currently vaccines available only against Hepatitis A and B. Your Hepatitis B vaccine will not protect you against the other Hepatitis viruses. The exception is Hepatitis D (also known as Delta Hepatitis). If a person has Hepatitis D by itself, it is harmless. But if a person has both Hepatitis B and Hepatitis D, this is a deadly combination. Since you are protected against Hepatitis B, you would no longer be considered at risk for Hepatitis D infection.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to call the Centers for Disease Control at 1.800.232.4636 (Nationwide).

HEPATITIS A & B
HTLV/balantis