SCARED TO DEATH ONE DRUNKEN NIGHT

RECENTLY I HAD A DRUNKEN EXPERIENCE WITH A PROSTITUTE I USED A CONDOM AND I AM ALMOST POSITIVE THAT THE CONDOM DIDNT BREAK OR ANYTHING BUT I STILL CAUGHT AN STD I SEEN A DOCTOR AND WAS TREATED HE SAID POSSIBLY CALYMIDIA I ASKED THE DOCTOR HOW. I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW HOW EASILY IS CALYMIDIA SPREAD AND IF USING LUBRICANTS EVEN IF THE CONDOM DIDNT BREAK CAN STDS AND HIV BE SPREAD.ALSO CAN HIV BE SPREAD IF A PERSON IS IN THAT 6 MONTH INCUBATION PERIOD. I AM STILL WAITING FOR TIME TO GO BY SO I CAN BE TESTED AND ITS NOT EASY FOR ME BECAUSE I RISKED MY LIFE FOR ONE DRUNKEN NIGHT.DO YOU THINK I AM A HIGH RISK COSIDERING THE CIRCUMSTANCES

Response from Mr. Sowadsky

Hi. Thank you for your question.

Before talking about Chlamydia, let me point out that when a person is drunk from alcohol, or high on drugs (pot, crank, cocaine etc.), a persons judgement is significantly affected. A person is much more likely to put themselves at risk for HIV and other Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STD's). A person under the influence of these drugs, is also much less likely to use condoms, or use them correctly. So even though you used a condom, there is a significant chance that you were not using the condom correctly, while you were drunk. If a condom is not used correctly, it will not adequately protect you. It is therefore not unusual that you got an STD even while using a condom, especially since you were drunk. However, if a condom is used every time and used correctly, it will offer very good protection against Chlamydia, HIV, and other STD's.

Chlamydia is a very common STD (much more common than HIV/AIDS). It is a bacterial infection that is primarily spread through vaginal intercourse. Symptoms in men can include a burning sensation when you pee (urinate), and a discharge from the penis. In women, there could be a burning sensation when she pee's (urinates), an unusual vaginal discharge, an abnormally heavy period, or abdominal pain. Left untreated, in women, Chlamydia can cause Pelvic Inflammatory Disease (PID), a very serious complication. In both men and women, left untreated, Chlamydia can cause infertility (inability to have a child). In both men and women, it is possible to have the infection, and have no symptoms at all. Chlamydia is curable with certain types of antibiotics. Only a doctor can diagnose Chlamydia through laboratory tests. If you got Chlamydia, this indicates that either the condom broke, and/or you did not use the condom correctly. If you got one STD, you may be infected with others as well (including HIV, Hepatitis B, Gonorrhea, Herpes, Syphilis, Genital Warts, etc.). Therefore if you got one STD, it is important to be tested for other STD's also.

In regard to HIV, during the 6 month period that it can take to show up on an HIV antibody test, the infection can still be transmitted.

Based on what you told me, you are considered at high risk for HIV and other STD's, especially if you were having sex under the influence of alcohol (or other judgement affecting drugs for that matter). It is therefore important that you get tested for HIV and other STD's. You should also use condoms with all of your sexual partners over the next 6 months, just in case you got HIV or another STD. Anytime you put yourself at risk for HIV/STD's, it is important you take steps so you do not infect anyone else (in case you did get an STD).

If you have any further questions, please feel free to call the Centers for Disease Control at 1.800.232.4636 (Nationwide).

Hepatitus B
When should u test for HTLV