ACUTE RETROVIRAL SYNDROME WITH STDS?

MR. Sowadsky: My question is the following: Do you get acute retroviral syndrome when you get infected with anyother std besides hiv? I tested negative for hiv after 4 month of a high risk exposure, but I tested positive for cmv. I had very acute flu symptoms after 3 weeks of my high risk exposure, could be this attributed with an infection from cmv? Please answer Thank you so much!

Response from Mr. Sowadsky

Hi. Thank you for your question. Besides HIV, another STD that can produce symptoms due to Acute Viral Syndrome is Herpes. Information about the symptoms of Herpes (including Acute Viral Syndrome) can be found in the post, "How is herpes transmitted exactly...fluid mucosal contact?"

In regard to the symptoms associated with CMV (Cytomegalovirus), in persons with a fully functioning immune system, this virus usually causes no symptoms at all. However in some people, CMV may occasionally cause symptoms similar to that of Mononucleosis. In persons with weakened immune systems (including persons with AIDS), the symptoms due to CMV can be much more serious. For more information about the symptoms of CMV in persons with AIDS, see the question "Effects of CMV."

Because the symptoms of CMV, the flu, Mononucleosis, and even Acute Viral Syndrome are often very similar to one another, it is only through lab tests that we can determine what is the cause of a persons symptoms. However, even with lab tests, it is often difficult to determine the cause of a persons flu-like symptoms. This is because these symptoms are very non-specific, and can be due to numerous causes. Your symptoms may have indeed been due to CMV, but then again, they may have been due to other causes too (including the flu itself).

If you have any further questions, please feel free to call the Centers for Disease Control at 1.800.232.4636 (Nationwide).

HCV infection
HTLV-1 Transmission