Risk of Hepatitis B

Rick, what is the chance of getting Hepatitis B from receiving oral sex.

Response from Mr. Sowadsky

Hi. Thank you for your question. Hepatitis B is transmitted the same way as HIV, but Hepatitis B is more infectious. When we are talking about routes of transmission, the same information that applies to HIV, applies to Hepatitis B as well. Receiving oral sex (exposure to saliva) is extremely low risk for HIV. It is also low risk for Hepatitis B as well, but not as low as the risk for HIV. So here, we are comparing low risk (Hepatitis B) to even lower risk (HIV). In summary, the risk of getting Hepatitis B through receiving oral sex (exposure only to saliva), is unlikely, but is somewhat higher than that of HIV.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to e-mail me at or call me at 1-800-842-AIDS (Nationwide). I'm glad to help!

Question #1: new PCR DNA test for genital warts?? Question #2: HPV and Blood Testing
Is ARS possible with Hepatitis B?