genital herpes and antibiotics

I have had genital herpes for about 3 years and was on zovirax suppression therapy. I recently decided to stop zovirax and at the same time I got bronchitis and was put on the antibiotic AUGMENTIN. About 3 days into my antibiotics I got a horrible outbreak--almost as bad as my primary. Could the antibiotics have caused this? Has taken the antibiotics weakened my immune system for herpes? I am back on zovirax and also still notice some slight tingling in the affected area -- can a really bad outbreak somehow "damage&quot the nerves that the virus travels through and cause permanent tingling? Thank you very much for your answers!

Response from Mr. Sowadsky

Hi. Thank you for your question. Antibiotics will not cause a person to have a Herpes outbreak, nor will antibiotics cause a weakened immune system.

Your outbreak was most likely due to two reasons. First was your discontinuing prophylactic (suppression) therapy. Second, any type of physical or emotional stress on the body can re-activate the Herpes virus. Many types of illnesses can produce a significant stress on your body. Therefore the combination of discontinuing therapy, while at the same time being sick from bronchitis, may have contributed to your getting another outbreak. Once the lesions fully heal, all symptoms associated with the outbreak (including the tingling) should go away. If your symptoms persist despite supressive therapy, I suggest you see your physician again.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to e-mail me at "nvhotline@aol.com" or call me at 1-800-842-AIDS (Nationwide). I'm glad to help!

HBV (Hepatitus) ?
STD's and oral sex