Syphelis

1. I have recently got a type of heat rash on my palms and feet soles. I had unprotected sex a few months ago, and tested negative for Syphelis after 6 weeks. How long will it normally take before syphelis antybodies shows up ? Is it like HIV (6 months to be 99% safe ??).

2. Can you get syphelis from oral sex ??

Regards

Response from Mr. Sowadsky

Hi. Thank you for your question. To learn about the symptoms of syphilis (and when a person tests positive on tests for syphilis), first go to the post entitled, "Syphilis" dated August 19, 1997.

Although syphilis can be transmitted through oral sex, this does not occur very often. Chancres due to syphilis (during the primary stage) can appear in the mouth, but again, this is not very common. A rash on the palms of the hands and the soles of the feet, can be a symptom of secondary syphilis.

However, if a person tests negative for syphilis at the time that they are showing these symptoms, it would be unlikely that their symptoms are related to secondary syphilis. Persons with secondary syphilis would normally be testing positive on syphilis blood tests by this point in time.

If there is even a possibility you may have any of the symptoms of syphilis, please see your doctor. Syphilis left untreated is a potentially fatal infection. But remember the symptoms of syphilis resemble the symptoms of many other illnesses, so you cannot assume you have syphilis, based on symptoms alone.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to e-mail me at "nvhotline@aol.com" or call me at (Nationwide). I'm glad to help!

HIV and hepatitis, danger of transmission
HBV (Hepatitus) ?