The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV and hepatitis, danger of transmission

Nov 14, 1997

As an HIV+ woman who is planning on engaging in sex with a man who is HIV+ AND has been exposed to various strains of hepatitis via clotting factors, are there any particular precautions we should take other than basic safe sex practices?

Response from Mr. Sowadsky

Hi. Thank you for your question. When we are talking about non-sexual transmission of HIV, Hepatitis B, Hepatitis C, or other bloodborne diseases, it is important that you take steps to prevent other persons from becoming exposed to your blood. This means you should not donate blood or any body organs or tissues. It also means that if a person has to give you first aid, it is important that they wear latex gloves to protect them from infection with these viruses. Of course, you should also not share needles, razors, or toothbrushes with anyone, since these may be contaminated with blood. In short, in persons with HIV and/or Hepatitis B and C, it is important that you avoiding any direct blood-to-blood contact (your blood getting into their bloodstream). And remember, the HIV and Hepatitis viruses are not transmitted through any form of casual contact. Therefore, although your partner also has HIV, you should still take the same precautions with him as you would with anyone else.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to e-mail me at "" or call me at (Nationwide). I'm glad to help!


  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint