The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Incubation Periods

Dec 15, 1997

Is there and incubation period between when you get Chlamydia and when you can pass it on to others?

Response from Mr. Sowadsky

Hi. Thank you for your question. It is extremely difficult to determine the earliest that a person infected with Chlamydia, can transmit the infection to another person. We do know that persons with symptoms of Chlamydia can transmit the infection to others. But since a person can have Chlamydia without any symptoms (and still be infectious to others), and since tests will not immediately pick up an infection, it is very difficult to determine the very earliest that Chlamydia can be transmitted to another person. We therefore have to assume that once a person is infected with Chlamydia, they are infectious to others soon afterwards. Generally speaking, it can take 7-14 days or more, for symptoms to appear (if at all), and it may take up to a month to show up on a test.

By the way, what I have just told you above also applies to Gonorrhea as well. For Gonorrhea, it generally takes 2-7 days or more, for symptoms to appear (if at all), and it may take up to a month to show up on a test. It is common for a person to be infected with Chlamydia and Gonorrhea at the same time.

For more information about Chlamydia, see the posting, "What's Chlamydia?"

If you have any further questions, please feel free to e-mail me at "" or call me at (Nationwide). I'm glad to help!

Possible Syphilis Infection
STDs and testing

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint