Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

STD Pictures: A message of thanks
Jun 11, 1998

Dear MR. Sowadsky

I would like to thank you for posting the photographs of the STD's online (What Do the Symptoms of STDs Look Like? Warning: This webpage contains pictures that are very graphic.). I searched for over an hour to find an image of genital warts, and yours was the first I came across. Sometimes a verbal description full of medical-ease isn't enough. In addition to that, they scare the hell out of you.

Response from Mr. Sowadsky

Hi. Thank you for your comments. The reason I posted these pictures is to give people a general idea of what some of the more common STDs look like. These STDs can be scary to look at, and can be even scarier when you see them on your own body.

As a general rule, see a doctor if:

1) you have a burning sensation when you urinate (pee).

2) you have an unusual discharge.

3) you have any types of unusual growths or lesions, whether they hurt or not.

4) you have an unusual odor or itching in the genital area.

5) you have had sex with a person known to have (or suspected or having) an STD, even if you do not have any symptoms yourself.

6) you have put yourself at risk for HIV or any other STD.

7) you have any symptoms that are not going away, or are very severe.

8) you have any symptoms that are similar to those found on the posting What Do the Symptoms of STDs Look Like?. Warning: This webpage contains pictures that are very graphic.

It is also important that if you see any unusual growths, lesions, discharges, etc., on your sexual partner(s), that you do not come in contact with these. You should tell your partner(s) to see their doctor if they have any unusual symptoms at all.

In addition, it is possible to have an STD and have no symptoms at all. If you have been at risk for STDs, please see your doctor regardless of whether you have symptoms or not. And just because your partner(s) may not have any symptoms, this does not necessarily mean they do not have an STD. Only an examination by a doctor, and laboratory tests, can determine if a person has an STD or not.

If you have any further comments or questions, please feel free to e-mail me at "nvhotline@aol.com" or call me at (Nationwide). I'm glad to help!

Previous
chlamydia transmission
Next
Gonorrhea in the throat

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.