Herpes, Menstruation, and tampons

I was diagnosed with Herpes Simplex 2 about two years ago. I am familiar with the symptons and have not experienced an outbreak more than once. I recently had unprotected sex with my boyfriend. What makes it worse is that I was menstruating at the time. As strange as it sounds, I was wearing a tampon too. He complained that his penis burned when he rinsed himself off afterwards. I'm afraid that his penis was cut and that he may have been infected. Should I be scared?

Response from Mr. Sowadsky

Thank you for your question. Based on what you told me, your boyfriend was not at any additional risk of infection for herpes under the circumstances you described.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to call the Centers for Disease Control at 1.800.232.4636 (Nationwide).

STDs, income, sexual orientation and cleanliness
College students and the risk of STD's