The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

More questions about Ureaplasma/Mycoplasma

Dec 30, 1998

All of the discussion I have found to date stops after the mention of these 2 causes of urethritis. What complications can result if urethritis caused by Ureaplasma / Mycoplasma is not treated? What type medications are used........are they broad spectrum type antibiotics ? Thank you!

Response from Mr. Sowadsky

Thank you for your question.

Ureaplasma and Mycoplasma are both bacterial infections that can occasionally cause Nonspecific Urethritis (NSU). However, the most common cause of NSU is chlamydia.

If ureaplasma and mycoplasma are left untreated, the complications (if any) are very similar to those of chlamydia. Sometimes these STDs can cause Reiters Syndrome, but this is not very common. In women, mycoplasma and chlamydia left untreated can spread throughout the female reproductive tract and cause Pelvic Inflammatory Disease (PID). PID can cause severe abdominal pain, scarring throughout the female reproductive tract, and ultimately infertility. Another cause of PID is gonorrhea that has been left untreated.

These infections are treated with various broad spectrum antibiotics, including (but not limited to) azithromycin, doxycycline, ofloxacin and erythromycin.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to call the Centers for Disease Control at 1.800.232.4636 (Nationwide).

More Questions about HTLV-I
HTLV-I Testing and Symptoms Timeline

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint