More questions about Ureaplasma/Mycoplasma

All of the discussion I have found to date stops after the mention of these 2 causes of urethritis. What complications can result if urethritis caused by Ureaplasma / Mycoplasma is not treated? What type medications are used........are they broad spectrum type antibiotics ? Thank you!

Response from Mr. Sowadsky

Thank you for your question.

Ureaplasma and Mycoplasma are both bacterial infections that can occasionally cause Nonspecific Urethritis (NSU). However, the most common cause of NSU is chlamydia.

If ureaplasma and mycoplasma are left untreated, the complications (if any) are very similar to those of chlamydia. Sometimes these STDs can cause Reiters Syndrome, but this is not very common. In women, mycoplasma and chlamydia left untreated can spread throughout the female reproductive tract and cause Pelvic Inflammatory Disease (PID). PID can cause severe abdominal pain, scarring throughout the female reproductive tract, and ultimately infertility. Another cause of PID is gonorrhea that has been left untreated.

These infections are treated with various broad spectrum antibiotics, including (but not limited to) azithromycin, doxycycline, ofloxacin and erythromycin.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to call the Centers for Disease Control at 1.800.232.4636 (Nationwide).

More Questions about HTLV-I
HTLV-I Testing and Symptoms Timeline