Hepatitis A and Hepatitis B vaccines

What does the Hepatitis vaccine protect from? I recently received a hepatitis vaccine, and I am wondering if it protects me from both hepatitis A and hepatitis B?

Response from Mr. Sowadsky

Thank you for your question. The answer to this question depends on which vaccine you got. There are presently two different hepatitis vaccines:

If you were vaccinated against the hepatitis A virus (which involves 2 shots over a 6-12 month period), this will only protect you against hepatitis A. The hepatitis A vaccine will not protect you against hepatitis B, nor any other form of hepatitis, nor any other infectious disease.

If you were vaccinated against the hepatitis B virus (which involves 3 shots over a 6 month period), this will only protect you against hepatitis B. The hepatitis B vaccine will not protect you against hepatitis A, nor any other form of hepatitis, nor any other infectious disease.

In order to be vaccinated against both hepatitis A and hepatitis B, you would need to be given both vaccines. You cannot assume that you were vaccinated against hepatitis A, nor hepatitis B, unless you have been specifically told which vaccine(s) you were given. The hepatitis B vaccine is now a recommended part of routine childhood vaccinations. There are no vaccines currently available against hepatitis C, nor other forms of hepatitis.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to call the Centers for Disease Control at 1.800.232.4636 (Nationwide).

Hepatitis B and Hepatitis A immunization boosters
HTLV and oral sex