Molluscum contagiosum in monogamous couple

During a recent visit to my gnecologist, I asked about 3 little bumps around my thighs/external vaginal area. She thought that while they could just be hair follicles, they could also be molluscum, and so she used cutterage (ouch!) to remove the bumps. I have not noticed any new bumps in three weeks. I am concerned about this because I have been with my fiance for about 2 and a half years, and in all this time I have not seen any bumps on him. How could I have gotten this? Is it possible one of us had this virus before we met three years ago? This issue has cause significant relationship stress for me, because I want to trust my fiance completely. He swears he has been faithful to me, and I have never been unfaithful. What's going on here? Why does it seem everyone knows so little about this virus? (we have both been tested for hiv and other std's-- all negative) Also, what are the chances that the doctor maybe misdiagnosed me??

Response from Mr. Sowadsky

Thank you for your question.

The symptoms of Molluscum Contagiosum generally appear 7 days to 6 months after infection. This infection is easily diagnosable through lab tests. Although this infection is most often transmitted sexually, it can occasionally be transmitted in ways other than sexual contact (most often by direct skin-to-skin contact with the growths). Having this infection does not necessarily mean that your partner infected you (nor that he had other sexual partners other than yourself), since this infection can also be transmitted through nonsexual contact. You will need to talk to your doctor again to verify whether you have Molluscum or not.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to call the Centers for Disease Control at 1.800.232.4636 (Nationwide).

Is herpes curable or treatable?
HIV and STD statistics in the United States