The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Is herpes curable or treatable?

Jul 29, 1999

I am suffering from Herpes. Is there any cure forever? what will be the outcome if I get married? Any treatments availabel?

Response from Mr. Sowadsky

Thank you for your question.

Literally millions of people have herpes, and live very productive lives. Since outbreaks tend to occur when a person is under physical or emotional stress, one of the best ways to reduce the number of outbreaks you have, is to reduce stress (which is not always easy). In addition, if a person has a weakened immune system, outbreaks may occur more often, and may be more severe than normal. Like other viral STDs, there is no cure for herpes, although there are prescription medications (Zovirax, Valtex, and Famvir) which can help reduce the severity of symptoms. Talk to your doctor to see if these medications may be able to help you.

Having herpes should not have any significant affect on your relationships (including marriage). If your partner truly loves you and cares about you, having herpes will not interfere with your relationship with them. The main thing to remember is to abstain from sexual activity (or diligently practice safer sex) while you are having an outbreak, which is when you are most infectious to your partner.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to call the Centers for Disease Control at 1.800.232.4636 (Nationwide).

Thrush and oral sex
Molluscum contagiosum in monogamous couple

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint