The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

STDs and high blood pressure

Sep 9, 1999

Dear Mr. Sowadsky,

It is naturally a lot of reasons a person can get high blood pressure, and this doesn't indicate much on itself (except that one probably should consult a doctor). But I was basically just wondering if also any STD is known to give a bit high blood pressure especially in the "acute period".


Response from Mr. Sowadsky

Thank you for your question. Sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) do not cause high blood pressure (also known as hypertension). However, if you go to a doctors office or a clinic, you may notice that your blood pressure may be a little higher than normal. This is because sometimes people get nervous or anxious when seeing the doctor, which can temporarily raise a persons blood pressure to a limited extent. This temporary raise in blood pressure is sometimes informally referred to as "white coat syndrome" (because doctors often wear white coats). So if you have an STD, the STD itself will not raise your blood pressure. But just being in the clinic to be tested or treated for STDs may raise your blood pressure (because you may be scared or nervous). Doctors are trained to distinguish between clinical hypertension and just being nervous.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to call the Centers for Disease Control at 1.800.232.4636 (Nationwide).

Lesbians, HPV, and genital warts
Chlamydia testing (including urine tests)

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint