Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

What if the condom brakes while having sex?

While having sex the condom broke and imidiately stopped, she imidiately started guiving me oral sex; what risk do I have?

Response from Mr. Sowadsky

Thank you for your question. If you were having sex (like intercourse) and the condom broke, from the time the condom broke, you would be at risk of HIV and other Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STD's). This is because you would lose the protection that the condom offered. So if the woman was infected with HIV or other STD's, you would indeed be at risk of infection. The longer you had sex with her while the condom was broken, the greater your risk would be.

As to the risks from oral sex:

If you are RECEIVING oral sex from someone else, you are only being exposed to saliva, and nobody has ever been infected from saliva. Nobody has ever been infected from kissing either! Keep in mind however that you can get other sexually transmitted diseases (like herpes) by both giving and receiving oral sex. So in short, your risk would be extremely low if she was giving you oral sex.

Since I'm on the topic of oral sex, let me mention about the risks of giving oral sex, since they're much higher than the risks of receiving oral sex.

If you are GIVING someone oral sex, there is a risk of infection since pre-cum, semen, vaginal secretions, and menstrual blood can get into your mouth. If you have any open sores, cuts, abrasions, or gum disease in the mouth, the virus can get into your bloodstream. The risk is less than vaginal or anal intercourse, but the risk is real, and transmission can occur. There have already been reported cases of HIV infection specifically through giving oral sex. In addition to HIV, while giving oral sex, you could also be at risk for other Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STD's) including herpes and gonorrhea.

You may want to consider getting tested for HIV and other STD's for the time you were having sex after the condom broke. As to your risk of receiving oral sex, that was extremely low as stated above. As long as you wait 6 months after a possible exposure to the virus, the tests are more than 99% accurate. If you have further questions, please e-mail me at "nvhotline@aol.com" or call me at 1-800-842-AIDS (in the USA). I'm glad to help.

What do "Low" and "High" risk really mean?
HIV Negative Gay Sex