Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

What do "Low" and "High" risk really mean?
Jul 31, 1996

What does it mean when an activity is "low" or "high" risk? I realize it is hard to specifically quantify the level of risk asociated with activities so it is given in general terms. However, I'm not sure I know exactly what these terms mean. From my understanding, a low risk activity is an activity I can perform over a long period of time (10 years for example) and expect to be safe. This is not to say that I couldn't be infected but that it would be unlikely. However, how risky is "high" risk? If I engaged in an high risk activity with HIV positive person would I likely be infected or only if I continued this behavior over a long period of time?

Response from Mr. Sowadsky

Thank you for your question. The terms High Risk and Low Risk are actually relative terms. Generally speaking, risks could either be no risk, low risk, or high risk.

No risk: This means there would be no chance of infection. This includes not having sex or not sharing needles. It includes having sex or sharing needles with an UNINFECTED person. It includes phone sex, computer sex, and masturbation by yourself. No matter how many times you would engage in a no risk activity, you would not be at risk of infection.

Low Risk: This means that although there is a risk of infection, the chances that you would become infected would be very unlikely. This includes having protected sex with a condom (used consistantly and correctly), mutual masturbation, body rubbing/massage, kissing, or receiving oral sex (exposure to saliva). In some countries, including the United States, receiving a blood transfusion is now very low risk. It also includes sharing needles that have been cleaned with bleach. Cleaning needles with bleach significantly reduces the risk of infection, but if not done correctly, could still lead to some risk of infection.

High Risk: This means that there would be a significant risk of infection. The more times that you engage in a high risk activity, the greater the chance of infection. High risk activities include unprotected vaginal or anal intercourse, giving oral sex, and sharing needles that have not been cleaned with bleach. While engaging in risky behaviors, you can become infected after just one time, or it can take multiple exposures before you become infected. But the more times you put yourself at risk, the greater the chance of infection.

When we're talking about high versus low risk, we're saying that high risk activities are much more likely to lead to transmission compared to a low risk activity. But one cannot quantify the risk. It's all relative.

If you have further questions, please e-mail me at "nvhotline@aol.com" or call me at 1-800-842-AIDS.

Previous
'Protected' Anal Sex?
Next
What if the condom brakes while having sex?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.