Deep kissing and sweat transmit HIV?

I have long deep kissing sessions with a friend who is HIV positive. I was wondering if the length of the kissing (sometimes 2-3 hours) and also licking his sweat could possibly transmit HIV to me? .

Response from Mr. Sowadsky

Hi. Thank you for your question.

First of all, nobody has ever been infected through saliva or sweat. The concentrations of the HIV virus in both of these body fluids are so low, that they have never led to transmission. In regard to deep prolonged kissing, nobody has ever been infected this way. However, if the positive person were to have blood in their mouth, then there would be a risk, since HIV has been transmitted through blood. Normally, a person does not have blood in their mouth, so normally there would not be a risk. But if there were blood in the mouth, then there would be a risk.

Also, remember that in order to become infected, HIV must enter your bloodstream. If HIV does not get into your bloodstream (through a cut, open sores, gum disease etc.), you will not become infected.

If you have further questions, please e-mail me at "nvhotline@aol.com" or call me at 1-800-842-AIDS.

How long does HIV live outside the body?
Percentage of documented cases of transmission through oral sex?