HIV risk during Oral Sex with Female?

9 months ago I gave a female oral sex by tonguing just the tip of her Clitoris. I did not lick any vaginal area below her clitors. I had a negative HIV screen 2 weeks ago. Did I reduce my risk by avoiding her vagina. Do I need to worry any more about my status because the act was only 9 months ago? When can I finally feel totally at ease with my negative result and regain a clear mind.

Response from Mr. Sowadsky

Hi. Thank you for your question.

When you are giving a woman oral sex, you are potentially being exposed to her vaginal secretions and menstrual blood. The more of these body fluids you are being exposed to, the greater the risk. So by reducing your exposure to her body fluids, your risk is reduced.

As to your test, the antibody tests are more than 99% accurate as long as it's been 6 months or more after a possible exposure to the virus. That's as good as any test in medicine could ever be. So if you're testing negative 9 months later, that would indicate, with more than 99% accuracy, that you are not infected with the virus. This is therefore something that you should be able to put behind you. So your test results are considered accurate at this time.

Just remember that in the future, if you give someone unprotected oral sex, or if you have unprotected intercourse, you would be at risk for this and other Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STD's).

If you have further questions, please e-mail me at "nvhotline@aol.com" or call me at 1-800-842-AIDS.

Safe sex with older men?
How long does HIV live outside the body?