MASTERBATION

What are my risks if I gave another guy a hand job only.

Response from Mr. Sowadsky

Hi. Thank you for your question.

Your risks of infection would be low if you gave a guy a "hand job" (masturbating another man). Giving someone a hand job is considered safer sex, meaning technically there is a risk, but it's a low risk.

In order to become infected from giving him a hand job, you'd have to be exposed to his pre-cum or semen, and those body fluids would have to have a direct access to your bloodstream in order to infect you. The more of his body fluids you're exposed to, the greater your risks would be. So, if he had ejaculated, your risks would have been greater. The less of his body fluids you're exposed to, the less your risk would be.

Now, in order to become infected, his pre-cum or semen would have had to have gotten DIRECTLY into a fresh OPEN cut or abrasion on your skin to get into your bloodstream. This is not very likely when giving a guy a hand job.

If his pre-cum or semen did not get DIRECTLY into a fresh open cut, you would not be at risk of infection. If it did go directly into the cut, then you would be at some risk of infection. But nobody can tell you what your exact chances of infection would be. All anyone could say is that if his pre-cum or semen got into your cut, you would be at some risk of infection. But it's only a possibility that you became infected.

So, in summary, all we can say is that your risks are technically possible, but giving a guy a hand job is low risk for HIV. The chances of any pre-cum or semen getting into your bloodstream while masturbating him is possible, but very unlikely.

If you have further questions, please e-mail me at "nvhotline@aol.com" or call me at 1-800-842-AIDS.

30 second vaginal sex: A risk?
HIV+ woman asks about oral sex