The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Transmittal from Woman to Woman

Sep 19, 1996

Rick Sowadsky, M.S.P.H., C.D.S. Senior Communicable Disease Specialist Nevada State Health Divison Nevada AIDS Hotline Coordinator

Response from Mr. Sowadsky

Hi. Thank you for your inquiry.

When we talk about safer sex, AIDS and Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STD's), there's a group of people who always seem to be left out of the conversation....Lesbians and Bisexual Women. Too many times I've heard, Lesbians don't get HIV", and "Lesbians don't get STD's". To the contrary ... Lesbians can and do get HIV and other Sexually Transmitted Diseases.

I'm starting to run into more Lesbians and Bisexual women who are infected with HIV. One of their primary complaints is the lack of safer sex information specifically for Lesbians. Another is the lack of a support system for Lesbians with the virus. Many are angry that nobody took the time to explain to them that they were indeed at risk for these diseases. Some lesbians became infected through IV drug needles. Others got it through having sex with men (prostitution etc).

Several times I've been asked how many HIV positive Lesbians there are. Truth is, the Centers For Disease Control (CDC) doesn't keep that type of statistic. Nobody has ever taken the time to look. I've heard health professionals say that HIV isn't a problem in Lesbians since there's no statistic on how many Lesbians are actually infected. The truth is, if you don't ask the questions, you're not going to find the answers. In my day to day dealings with folks with HIV, I'm starting to find more and more Lesbians and Bisexual women with HIV and other STD's. The fact is, the problem is real and does exist ... it's just never discussed.

In regard to protection against HIV and STD's while giving a woman oral sex, time and time again you read about using "dental dams". A dental dam is a 6x6 inch piece of latex that you put over the vagina before giving oral sex to a woman. There's 2 problems with dental dams. First is the awful taste of latex. In a previous article, I wrote about the problems of latex condoms for oral sex ("Latex Condoms For Oral Sex? You Gotta Be Kidding!"). Well, latex dental dams taste just as bad. Secondly, just where can one readily obtain dental dams anyway .......... well? The fact is, you can't just go to the local drug store or the local supermarket and buy dental dams. They're just not available. So what do you do?

Some people have suggested taking an unlubricated latex condom, splitting it open with scissors, and using that. Again, you have to deal with the problem of the awful taste of latex. A much better idea is to use saran wrap or plastic wrap and putting that over the vagina to act as a barrier against infection. Plastic wrap is readily available at just about any supermarket, is relatively inexpensive, and not embarassing to buy. In addition, plastic wrap doesn't have any bad taste, and you can see through it. And these days, it even comes in "designer colors"! By the way, for those of you who engage in oral-anal sex (rimming), you can also use saran/plastic wrap to protect you against various viral and parasitic infections. The next time you go to the supermarket, after reading this answer, you just won't look at saran wrap the same way again!

If you have any further questions, please feel free to e-mail me at "" or call me at 1-800-842-AIDS (Nationwide). I'm glad to help!

30 second vaginal sex: A risk?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint